Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] AthTek NetWalk

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:26:43 -0700
On Sep 21, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> "Guy Harris" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Is there an MSVC tool to look find out what DLLs an executable uses?  (I.e., the equivalent of, say, ldd on many systems using ELF, or otool on Mac OS X.)
>
> cygcheck from the CygWin package. Running it on AthTek's version of wireshark
> reveals this.

And running it on netwalk.exe itself gives:

guy-427fbacddb3$ cygcheck ./netwalk.exe
.\netwalk.exe
  .\wxmsw291u_core_vc_custom.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMDLG32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMCTL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\OLEAUT32.dll
    .\wxbase291u_vc_custom.dll
      .\MSVCP90.dll
        .\MSVCR90.dll
  .\wxmsw291u_aui_vc_custom.dll
  .\wxmsw291u_adv_vc_custom.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINMM.dll
  .\wxmsw291u_qa_vc_custom.dll
    .\wxbase291u_xml_vc_custom.dll
  .\modulelocal.dll
    .\wxbase291u_net_vc_custom.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll
    .\dissect.dll

so it looks as if they aren't linking it with any Wireshark libraries.  Perhaps the "wireshark.exe" is their own program, built to do dissection "at arm's length".

wxWidgets?  Maybe they'll be offering Mac OS X and/or Linux versions some day.