Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Your help in starting my contributions to Wireshark

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:36:00 -0600
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 01:29:25PM -0500, Yee Man Bergstrom wrote:

> I would like to start contributing and would appreciate pointers on
> where to start.

The the README.developer text document in the doc directory of the
source code, the developer's guide
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/, this mailing list.

> 1st: I saw 2 wishlists on the wiki.

> Are these up to date?

I bet they're mostly up-to-date.

> I am very interested in starting with one of the TCP related items.
>
> Anyone working on these items?

Chances are that no one is, although usually completed work just appears
without many people knowing it's happening :).

> I have the latest wireshark trunk code building and running on my
> windows and Ubuntu boxes.

Great.  Almost anything you do will be cross-platform so you only have
to do it on one or the other machine, whichever is easier for you.
Personally, I find it easier to do most of my development on Unix,
though I do have a Windows development environment as well.