Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Ok to change test-fuzzed-cap.sh from #!/bin/bash to /bin/sh?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:56:43 -0400
Stephen Fisher wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:55:21PM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Traditionally 'sh' (at least the original one) does not like things like:

     export WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY=

So instead you have to do:

WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY=
export WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY

Good thing I asked! The second way is the way I learned. Does that way work on Solaris /bin/sh even if the first doesn't?

Yes, the 2nd works and is what you must do on Solaris for scripts which run in sh. I probably couldn't count the number of times I've seen people put #!/bin/bash or similar at the top of an /etc/init.d script then use the first syntax and then get surprised when the script runs file from a shell (in bash) but does not work while the system is booting (when the file is run as "sh /path/to/file").

We could modify the scripts to use only the 2nd format to work with sh. We'd also have to split the ulimits into several commands in order to solve the other error I got. Not sure what else might be lurking in there.