Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Your help in starting my contributions to Wireshark

From: Yee Man Bergstrom <yee.man.bergstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:29:25 -0500

Hi,

I would like to start contributing and would appreciate pointers on where to start.

1st: I saw 2 wishlists on the wiki.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/WishList

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Wishlist

Are these up to date?

I am very interested in starting with one of the TCP related items.

Anyone working on these items?

=èFrom Wiki

For TShark, provide a way to control the output format. E.g., 'tshark -e "ip udp tcp.port"' would expand the IP and UDP sections, and display the TCP port information.

Add a TCP analysis flag field which would distinguish between packets originating from the client (the machine that initiated the TCP connection by sending SYN) and packets originating from the server. It would be possible to colorize general TCP client/server traffic similar to "Follow TCP stream", and maybe simplify some dissectors. (That would only work if the SYN were seen; "Follow TCP Stream" handles that by considering the IP address and port for the first packet in the conversation to be the "client". - Guy Harris)

=èEnd From Wiki

I have the latest wireshark trunk code building and running on my windows and Ubuntu boxes.

Thanks!

YeeMan