Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Con Edison - Top25 Software Errors - Assessment

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:01:25 -0700
Carlos,

Many items on the list don't apply to Wireshark. For example, we don't
use SQL queries (item 1) and Wireshark isn't a web-based application
(items 4, 12, 22).

For the items that do apply we use the following methods to detect and
mitigate errors:

Review. We ask that contributors submit code via an enhancement request
on our bug tracker where it can be reviewed before being added to the
source code repository.

Documentation and training. We address some of the issues in the CWE in
our developer documentation and in our introductory development class at
Sharkfest (the Wireshark user and developer conference).

Continuous Integration. As part of our automated build system we run API
tests (including the detection of insecure functions), unit tests, and
fuzz tests.

Privilege separation. Packet capture (which requires elevated privileges
on many platforms) is handled by a separate process, dumpcap.