Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] No interfaces, no /dev directory (MacOS X)

From: Steven Ross <wireshark.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 18:56:33 -0700
No interfaces running as admin in Mac OS x 10.5.8 (PPC). I read the Readme in the download and the wiki telling me about the script to set up permissions on boot (and I did reboot):
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges

I do see interfaces and capturing works fine if I run as root.

I have the ChmodBPF script in the StartupItems, placed there by the Wireshark installer. Running the ChmodBPF script directly gives an error:
line 35: $1: unbound variable
Line 35 is simply:  RunService "$1"

I believe it breaks because I do not have a /dev folder. There is a hidden /dev alias, which appears to point to a volume, but actually goes nowhere. Do I need to install Xcode to get the /dev folder? Any other reason why it wouldn't work in admin, but does in root?

Thanks!