Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem compiling Wireshark 1.6.1

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:08:33 +0100
On 28/08/2011 06:58, Helge Kruse wrote:
> Am 24.08.2011 11:32, schrieb Guy Harris:
>>
>> On Aug 24, 2011, at 1:52 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any error message at all from the build after the call to mt.exe?
> No.
>

>>>  From your command prompt after the build fails what is the output from
>>> "where
>>> mt.exe"?
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin\mt.exe
>

>> Because, after all, one of the most important bits of UN*X functionality
>> EVAR is the ability to rewind or space forward/backwards or erase a mag
>> tape from the command line:
>
> What program package is EVAR, never heard about it.
>

>>     http://cygwin.com/packages/mt/
>>
>>     http://linux.die.net/man/1/mt
>>
>> If that's installed, the "mt.exe" it's running might be the (GPL'ed
>> reimplementation of?) the Good Old BSD "mt" command, rather than something
>> actually generally useful to developers:
>>
>>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375649(v=vs.85).aspx
>>
>> If the Cygwin package containing "mt" is installed, you might have to tweak
>> your search path to look at the directory in which the Windows SDK programs
>> are located *before* looking at the directories in which Cygwin binaries
>> are located, so you get the right "mt".
>
> There was no change in the CYGWIN installation since I compiled Wireshark
> successfully.
>
> --
> Andy

I'm intrigued by the change in poster name from AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx to
Helge.Kruse-nospam@xxxxxxx  but will assume it's the same issue we're
following here.

Guy's comments about the Cygwin mt package were aimed at the usefulness of
providing a mag tape handler for a *nix emulator for Windows.

OK, the path indicates that the mt.exe being used is from the SDK (v6.0A)
supplied with VS2008.  I noticed an earlier email mentioned using
"vcvarsall.bat x86" to set the build environment, rather than the Developers
Guide recommended ...\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat.  The call you made should be
equivalent, but who knows, maybe try that.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice