Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] text2pcap regression starting from revision 38679

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:00:19 -0400
Pascal Quantin wrote:

I started looking at the code change done by Chris Maynard and it fails with my sample because it tries to compare the not present ASCII string with the HEX string (so as to avoid taking a beginning of the ASCII string as part of the HEX string, as explained in bug 1723). Is the ASCII dump mandatory in the text2pcap input file format ? The text2pcap help file is not very clear concerning this point and I assumed that appending ASCII output was optional (as it was working previously). So should I explicitly add it ?

MHO: I think it should be optional. When I use text2pcap it's often with a hex dump that does not have the ASCII-decode part.