Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Brutal patch to build with GTK 3.0

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 15:57:55 -0700
On Aug 23, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Anders Broman wrote:

> If we could use the gtkvumeter from here http://buzztard.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/buzztard/trunk/buzztard/src/ui/edit/gtkvumeter.c?view=log the work to adapt it would be minimal I think.

At least as I understand it, the capture interface list dialog is used to look at interfaces and decide, based either on interface activity or an indication, based on the IP addresses, of the network the interface is on, which interface you want to capture on.

If so, which statistics are useful for this?  Are either the RSSI or the data rate of the packets being received and transmitted *by the host running Wireshark* on the network with which the interface is associated useful?  I'm not sure I can see how, but maybe I'm missing something.

> The vumeter isn't displayed on any of my systems unfortunately.

It's Windows-only, because the RSSI and data rate aren't supplied by libpcap, and we currently only have code to fetch them ourselves on Windows.