Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] PATCH: btl2cap extended window shows wrong bit

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:14:29 +0200
Hi,

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:27:35 +0300, Andrei Emeltchenko wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Jaap Keuter wrote:

Hi, We're not the Linux kernel, hence we have to find our own way
forward. We found that too many patches were lost in the email
archives
for various reasons. For instance we don't have paid for staff(1)
working the project, unlike the Linux kernel.

This is misunderstanding IMO. People get paid indirectly. I use tools,
I submit patch and I am not paid for that. But I still get my salary.

If you look deeper into the core of the Linux developer group, you'll see these people are paid for. Linus: Linux Foundation, David S. Miller: Red Hat, Greg Kroah-Hartman: Novell, Chris Wright: Red Hat, Alan Cox: Intel, Ingo Molnár: Red Hat, Robert Love: Google, etc. Not by a single entity, but still, they're paid to do that job. We (as Wireshark core developers) are not. That is the main difference.

The (severely) time constrained volunteers agreed to resort to other
ways to capture patches: bugzilla.

If we would use git then the patches would contain commit message and
authors info
so it would ne much easy to track it. Many big project manage with git
and mailing list
and this is much easier and less time consuming.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, which may fit better with that projects or your way of working. For now this is the best we've got, and it is serving us pretty well actually.

So, you are free
to leave your patch on the mailing list, but it
could get lost

I have submitted several bugs with patches some time ago (concerning
bluetooth) and most of them got lost :-(

Thus proving my point. Once filed in bugzilla, they're there, for someone with time and resources to verify the patches and commit them. Wireshark Bugzilla has an item on the main page showing you all pending patches. Enough left to do :)

Thanks,
Jaap

Regards,
Andrei e>That is not to say that it will be applied straight away
otherwise,
but then we're back to the time constrained volunteers... Thanks, Jaap
(1) I hope Gerald receives a pay check now and then of course, but
he's
got more on his plate in facilitating the project in more ways than
you
can imagine. He even puts in a few lines of code now and then ;) On