Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 38606: /trunk/gtk/ /trunk/gtk/: pref

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:13:10 -0700
On 8/18/11 1:46 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:30:40PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
>
>> I'd rather disable building with AIRPCAP. If this code is unmaintained
>> then this would be more appropriate.
>
> That code (should be) maintained like the rest of our regular GTK code,
> except that it just happens to only be built on Windows since the
> AirPcap hardware only comes with Windows drivers.  So our recent change
> to build all of Wireshark with GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED worked on Unix,
> but not on Windows.  It is unusual for our GTK code to not be compiled
> on all platforms, which is why building with GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
> seemed ok to do.  It makes it hard to troubleshoot AirPcap build
> problems without a Windows box; can we compile AirPcap code on all
> platforms and just disable the option to enable the AirPcap toolbar if
> AirPcap support isn't present?

The deprecated code has been removed in r38610 (I should have caught it
a couple of years ago when updating airpcap_dlg.c).

The AirPcap files and functions should be given more generic names, such
as "main_wireless_toolbar.c" and integrated with other platforms.
There's no reason to limit the ability to set the 802.11 channel et al
to a subset of Windows users.