Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] why wireshark plugin does not work here - dissector_add_uint

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:47:33 +0200
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 01:37:27AM +0800, John x wrote:
> I am working on wireshark 1.7.0 (SVN from /trunk), so the ".so" file generated from "1.7.0" cannot be used on version "1.6.*" as wireshark plugin?

Short answer: correct
Long answer: plugins are *upward* compatible within a major stable release
   (e.g. 1.4.x, 1.6.x) but not between major stable releases (1.4.x vs 1.6.x).
   Within unstable releases (1.5.x, 1.7.x) the API may change any time, so
   plugins may stop working even within the same major unstable release.

Ciao
        Joerg