Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] What is Wireshark 1.6.0 ?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:14:24 -0400
news.gmane.com wrote:
"Gerald Combs" <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4E43F85A.6070809@xxxxxxxxxxxxx...
On 8/11/11 12:24 AM, news.gmane.com wrote:
Why don't I get the same files, when I checkout the SVN repository?

svn export http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/releases/wireshark-1.6.0
wireshark

compared to

http://www.wireshark.org/download/src/wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2
If you take a fresh SVN checkout (*not* an export) of
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/releases/wireshark-1.6.0 and run
the following:

 perl make-version.pl --package-version
 ./autogen.sh
 ./configure
 make
 make dist

You should get your own copy of wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2 which is ready
to build on Windows, OS X, Linux, and UNIX. If your version of the GNU
build chain is close enough to the one running on the Buildbot builder
it will *probably* even be identical to the one available for download.

But would this reproduce the "offically released source files" as mentioned in section 3.3.4 of WSDG?

Well, it would produce something very similar, but as Gerald said it would not necessarily be exactly the same.

Is the SVN release branch official or the wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2?

Does it matter?

Why should I use SVN checkout instead of export? The checkout generates a lot of .svn directories that I only need when I modify the files and want to check in probably later.

Because SVN fits better into your work flow, for example. (A while ago I asked someone why they built from the release tags instead of just downloading the tarball and he said something about it just fitting better with his work flow.)