Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] What is Wireshark 1.6.0 ?

From: "news.gmane.com" <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:52:27 +0200
"Gerald Combs" <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:4E43F85A.6070809@xxxxxxxxxxxxx...
> On 8/11/11 12:24 AM, news.gmane.com wrote:
>> Why don't I get the same files, when I checkout the SVN repository?
>>
>> svn export
>> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/releases/wireshark-1.6.0
>> wireshark
>>
>> compared to
>>
>> http://www.wireshark.org/download/src/wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2
>
> If you take a fresh SVN checkout (*not* an export) of
> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/releases/wireshark-1.6.0 and run
> the following:
>
>  perl make-version.pl --package-version
>  ./autogen.sh
>  ./configure
>  make
>  make dist
>
> You should get your own copy of wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2 which is ready
> to build on Windows, OS X, Linux, and UNIX. If your version of the GNU
> build chain is close enough to the one running on the Buildbot builder
> it will *probably* even be identical to the one available for download.

But would this reproduce the "offically released source files" as mentioned
in section 3.3.4 of WSDG?

Is the SVN release branch official or the wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2?

Why should I use SVN checkout instead of export? The checkout generates a
lot of .svn directories that I only need when I modify the files and want to
check in probably later.

I just want to find the best solution to get the header file and
supplementaty files that are necessary to compile my dissectors. Your
proposal to "make" the whole thing unfortuanately doesn't work because a
problem with the GeoIP library (see other thread).

--
Andy