Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling Wireshark for Win32

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:45:46 -0400

news.gmane.com wrote:
"Stig Bj�rlykke" <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
news:CANoXo1QNRsjQq39xqEYW+W3vNib0OxV5bJCbZ0H15CJKuBnGZw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...
I am a bit surprised about a problem with compiling Wireshark 1.6.0 with
Visual Studio 2005 for Win32.

Why do you build 1.6.0 when we have released 1.6.1?
The issues you have are fixed in 1.6.1.

I don't want to build 1.6.x at all. I want to upgrade all my dissectors for
propriary protocols to Wireshark 1.6. Since there are no PDB files for 1.6.0
(found only for 1.7 at http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/win32/)
and no import library files I need compile Wireshark with all that CygWin,
Python, ... installation.

Since the ABI should not change in the "stable branch" I should be able to
compile to any version as long as I only need a set of files to build a
dissector DLL and to debug the DLL in Wireshark.

*All I need is:*
- libwireshark.lib
- all PDB files
- all header files (these can be retrieved using SVN)

Should I expect that Wireshark source doesn't get through the supported
compiler? I know that there are bugs in any software, but usually a change
in the last part of the version number indicates a bugfix in the
implementation.

Well, bugfixes are bugfixes--whether it's functional or due due to compiler warnings.

And obviously Wireshark is not compiled by the buildbots on every known compiler, so things will slip through the cracks.

That being, said, for the *NIX builds "warnings as errors" (-WX in the Windows case) are normally turned off for the releases.

Gerald et al, is there any reason that's not done for the Windows builds? (-WX is set in trunk-1.2, trunk-1.4, trunk-1.6.) We're now seeing that there are differences in the warnings coming out of the various Windows compilers...

news.gname.com (as your email headers indicate your name is ;-)), the other obvious solution for you is to remove "-WX" from the compilation options.