Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Rev 38350 Capture Options Changes - Named Pipe?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 15:00:08 +0200
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:43:26PM +0200, Michael T?xen wrote:
> > When building with remote capture, then there is a button below the Interface
> > list. Maybe the remote capture stuff, the interface stuff and the pipe stuff
> > can be unified by having a drop down button with which to select what to show
> > inside the area that is the interface list right now?
> Hmmm. The button is to add remote interfaces. One could provide the functionality
> of adding named pipes.
>
> The interfaces list provides an easy way to select the set of interfaces used
> for capturing (no matter if it is local, remote, named pipe (in the future))
> and provide an overview about the settings.

Ah, OK. Yes, adding another add button or using a drop down button + go.
While everyone seems to be adding their wishes, now that someone is actually
is working on that code: Would it make sense to add a button (or whatever)
to scan for newly created/activated interfaces? When I'm running Wireshark
and add a new interface (I'm on Linux and run e.g. "iw dev wlan0 interface add
mon0 type monitor" + "ifconfig mon0 up" or just up an interface that was down,
I need to restart Wireshark for the new interface to be detected. Checking
for new interfaces at runtime or be shown also interfaces that are admin down
would be a nice to have :-)

Ciao
    Joerg