Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling Wireshark for Win32

From: "news.gmane.com" <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:43:24 +0200
"Guy Harris" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0CED7F2D-8D53-40BD-BFC0-F86B7559CED1@xxxxxxxxxxxx...

> On Aug 10, 2011, at 9:18 AM, news.gmane.com wrote:
>
>> I am a bit surprised about a problem with compiling Wireshark 1.6.0 with
>> Visual Studio 2005 for Win32. Some dissectors have assignments from 64 to
>> 32
>> bit, what will issue a warning C4244 by the compiler. Since the -WX
>> parameter is passed to the compiler, the compilation fails. The warning
>> level /W3 will not suppress the warning C4244 but /W2 would do.

>> Why did this pass the compilation at wireshark.org?
>
> The wireshark.org buildbot is running "Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0"; I'm
> not sure how that translates to Microsoft's year-based version scheme, but
> perhaps it's a different version of VS than VS 2005, and perhaps that
> version doesn't catch that if run with -WX and /W3.

VS2005 is VC80.

Well Wireshark is prepared for Visual Studio 6.0 til VS2010 except VS2003 as
you find in config.namke:

##### Microsoft Visual C / Studio Variant #####
# For the different Studios, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio
# only one of the following MSVC_VARIANT settings should be used
# BTW: The "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" DOESN'T WORK for WS!

# "Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0"
# Visual C++ 6.0, _MSC_VER 1200, msvcrt.dll (version 6)
#MSVC_VARIANT=MSVC6

As you can see (http://buildbot.wireshark.org/trunk/one_line_per_build),
buildbot compiles for different windows platforms (win7, winXP). Isn't the
problem with the compiler version less important than a non-compilable
release version? Compiling with different compiler had stopped releasing
this buggy version.

--
Andy