Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 38340: /trunk/ /trunk/: make-version

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:32:03 -0400
Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 06:33:34PM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=38340

User: cmaynard

 Don't report svn version if not building from svn.  Change prompted by http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/5376/wireshark-161-title-shows-svn-rev-unknown-from-unknown.
  +3 -2      make-version.pl    Modified

Does this really make sense? How do you differentiate between the "real"
1.6.1 release and a post 1.6.1 source code archive?
I think this particular "fix" is wrong.
The only way I see to get around that, though, is to have each official release (e.g., 1.6.1) have a commit to disable the SVN version noise and then another commit to re-enable it after the release is made.

Why not simply include the version.conf file in the tarball, shouldn't that
fix the problem?

Ah, yes, that could do the trick. I hadn't realized that there actually was a version.conf file in the release branches (and that Gerald already updates it for each release).

Only problem seems to be that builds (e.g., the users' builds) always call make-version and make-version always (unless it's doing a package-version(?)) updates svnversion.h (even if there's a version.conf). The fact that svnversion.h is in the source tarball may also have an effect here.