Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Custom dissector and info column issue

From: Chris Maynard <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 13:49:57 +0000 (UTC)
Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@...> writes:

> I added your dissector to my build, cut down the capture file to only include
> frames 1 & 3 and attached a debugger to see what was happening.
>
> This might be a bug.

Graham, I had come to the same conclusion.  It seems like a bug to me and would
suggest opening a bug report for it.  The comments surrounding the
"if(another_pdu_follows)" seem to make sense; however, it seems that somewhere
the columns need to be made writable again before handing off the next
reassembled packet.

And for Chris Miller, a little more feedback on your dissector:
1) You are using port 5555 for your dissector.  If possible, you shouldn't use
that port since it is reserved for personal-agent.  See
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers for the list of registered ports.
If you must use 5555, then consider adding a port preference to your dissector
so you change it later, if needed.
2) You probably want to use BASE_DEC instead of BASE_HEX for some fields.
3) Running tools/checkhf.pl against your dissector produces errors that should
be fixed.
4) Running tools/checkAPIs.pl against your dissector produces errors that should
be fixed.