Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 38261: /trunk/ /trunk/: configure.in

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 14:33:55 -0700
On Aug 2, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Stig Bjørlykke wrote:

> Are you sure?  Isn't this for (some) regular wireless adapters on Windows?
> I'm not getting any information from my AirPcap...

WinPcap doesn't support NDIS 6.0, so it doesn't support the "native Wi-Fi" stuf that was introduced in Vista, so it only supports 802.11 interfaces as "fake Ethernet" interfaces - and the drivers for a lot of them don't work very well in that mode, e.g. some of them fail to capture any traffic at all when you ask the driver to put the card in promiscuous mode.  No monitor mode support at all.