Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [tcpdump-workers] request for DLT_WIHART for Wireless HART

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:01:17 -0400
Sam Roberts wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Sam Roberts wrote:
Wireless HART is a wireless industrial control protocol that uses the
IEEE 802.15.4 physical layer, but_ NOT_ the IEEE data-link layer.

The encapsulation consists of the entire data-link PDU (similar to
802_15_4).

The spec is available for a fee from http://www.hartcomm2.org.

Since it was submitted to the IEC as IEC/PAS 62591, the spec is
available for a substantially smaller fee from
http://webstore.iec.ch/webstore/webstore.nsf/artnum/042507.

I'll post dissectors to wireshark once I've a DLT type.
I've assigned 223 as the link-layer type value.

I haven't looked at this for a (long) while, but we have a bit of a
dissector, and since Reid just prompted me about it, here it is.

My understanding is wireshark doesn't take lua dissector submissions,
but  I'm posting this here in case anybody else will find it useful.

Hmm, I'm not sure that we don't accept Lua dissectors--I think no one so far has submitted any Lua dissectors. I don't see any particular reason why we can't--at the very least as examples.

I'd suggest adding this as an enhancement request on https://bugs.wireshark.org so it doesn't get lost. (You should be sure to include a sample capture and update the dissector to include a Copyright notice.)