Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 38106: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:35:06 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:
On Jul 18, 2011, at 10:19 PM, Maynard, Chris wrote:
Assuming the reporter of bug 5769 is correct and the Info column displays the values of the low and high limits correctly, then the protocol is ENC_BIG_ENDIAN.  All of the fields affected by r38106 are either FT_UINT8's or FT_BOOLEAN's spanning 1 byte, so endian-ness really doesn't matter, but if someone does the old "copy-and-paste" thing later on, [s]he might incorrectly copy an ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN when it should be ENC_BIG_ENDIAN.

If they're all one-byte fields, they might as well be ENC_BIG_ENDIAN,

I had wondered about that when converting some dissectors to ENC_XXX. I ended up using ENC_NA for one-byte fields since it really is "not applicable," but I'm not sure that was the Right thing to do. If all the other fields are ENC_BIG_ENDIAN that I guess it would make sense to just keep using that, even for one-byte fields.