Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gtk-Critical messages when dumpcap has insufficient privileg

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:42:23 -0700
On Jul 20, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> I am seeing Gtk-CRITICAL messages, but only if dumpcap has insufficient
> privileges to capture/list interfaces (see below).

I'd ask "what happens if you don't have any interfaces at all", but the only way to get that would probably be to take all interfaces down, and if you're on Linux, *BSD, or Mac OS X, that means taking the loopback interface down, and it'd probably be a bit entertaining to see what breaks on your OS if you do that.

My *guess* is that it's confused if the list of available interfaces is empty.  I could be wrong, however.