Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 37833: /trunk/ /trunk/docbook/: rele

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:02:00 -0400
Yes, I reverted it in r37839:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=37839

Sake had a better patch that he was working on and posted on -core as save-as.diff.  My understanding is that the patch would only work for non-Windows platforms though, so I think all we need now is for someone with more GTK+Windows knowledge than I to take Sake's solution and extend it to Windows.

Re-attaching Sake's comments and patch for convenience:

=====[BEGIN QUOTE]=====
I would vote against defaulting to saving only displayed frames when "File -> Save" is used. My reasoning... (from practical use of wireshark)... I captured packets, started to do some analysis involving filtering, then when I find the file interesting indeed, I would want to save the whole file.

I don't want to be unpleasantly surprised by not having all packets in my capture file. "File -> Save" is only active on non-saved files, so it would make sense to always save every packet as it has not been saved before. For "File -> Save As" I do agree that it would be logical to save only the displayed frames, as you expect to save the transformed file (it is no use saving the file in the same form again).

That is how I interpreted the request at Sharkfest :-)

I attached the change I have in mind for non-windows systems, so you see what I plan to implement...

Cheers,

Sake
=====[END QUOTE]=====

- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.