Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Conversation and endpoints byte counts

From: Chris Maynard <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 03:07:15 +0000 (UTC)
Guy Harris <guy@...> writes:

> What exactly do people want with those byte counts?

I don't presume to know what one might want to use that data for.  I am merely
trying to report the most meaningful information possible.

> ...which means that you can't get a link-layer byte count that pertains to
what was actually sent out over
> any network link.

It was just an example.  I have similar Ethernet captures, so substitute a 14
byte Ethernet header for a 16-byte Linuxed cooked capture.  The point and
question remains.  What is the most accurate/desirable/expected number to report?