Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] UTF8 vs. locale in error messages (bug 5715)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:13:33 -0700
On Jun 28, 2011, at 2:25 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

> On 28/06/2011 01:58, Guy Harris wrote:
>>
>> 	2) Windows, where "Unicode" generally means "UTF-16", and APIs that return strings encoded as sequences of octets rather than hexadectets probably return strings in the local code page.
>>
> Is this a first sighting of a new word "hexadectet"?

No.

> Google doesn't have an entry for it.

An entry where?

When I did a Google search for "hexadectet", it assumed I meant "hexadentate", but when I told it that I really did mean "hexadectet", it found items such as

	http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-denog-v6ops-addresspartnaming-02.txt

"4.7. Hexadectet

   "Hexadectet" is directly derived from IPv4's "octet", thus techni-
   cally correct and probably convenient to get used to. On the other
   hand, it is much harder to pronounce."

and

	http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/old-archive1/msg02577.html

from 1992:

"I hasten to admit that modeling the path between the decoder and
the richtext parser as a hexadectet stream has its own problems,
mainly in that it makes the richtext parser harder to write (one
has to be careful before using any standard string manipulation
routines)."