Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] plugins to builtins

From: Ed Beroset <beroset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:37:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>While I see "grouped protocols" in the current epan\dissector directory, I thought maybe Profinet could have its own directory off of it if otherwise 'pollutes' the main dissector directory.  I just see the plugins directory as "Windows only", and I don't think any protocol should be limited if there isn't anything "Windows specific" about it.  My goal is to just increase "platform independent" code.

I may have misunderstood what you're saying, but plugins are certainly not generally "Windows-only."  There is a page on the developer's wiki which describes the choice between building as a plugin vs. building as builtin.  It's specifically talking about ASN.1 protocols, but most of the points are generic:

The usual way to build an ASN.1-based dissector is to put it into the asn1 subtree. This works well and is somewhat simpler than building as a plugin, but there are two reasons one might want to build as a plugin:

    * to speed development, since only the plugin needs to be recompiled
    * to allow flexibility in deploying an updated plugin, since only the plugin needs to be distributed

Reasons one might not want to build as a plugin:

    * the code is somewhat more complex
    * the makefile is quite a bit more complex
    * building under the asn1 subtree keeps all such dissectors together

(See http://wiki.wireshark.org/ASN1_plugin for the full text.)

Ed