Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 35253: /trunk//trunk/doc/: README.de

From: Andreas Sander <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 20:59:36 +0200

Am 03.01.2011 18:41, schrieb Guy Harris:

On Jan 3, 2011, at 3:49 AM, news.gmane.com wrote:

"Guy Harris"<guy-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote in message

No - Wireshark doesn't do garbage collection

Yes, you're right. But see this:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/epan/emem.h

It should be fixed to use another term for it.
<Excerpt source="emem.h (wireshark-1.6.0.tar.bz2)">

/* Functions for handling memory allocation and garbage collection with
 * a packet lifetime scope.
* These functions are used to allocate memory that will only remain persistent
 * until Wireshark starts dissecting the next packet in the list.
 * Everytime Wireshark starts decoding the next packet all memory allocated
 * through these functions will be released back to the free pool.
 *
 * These functions are very fast and offer automatic garbage collection:
 * Everytime a new packet is dissected, all memory allocations done in
 * the previous packet is freed.
 */
</Excerpt>

Andy