Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 802.11s dissector status

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:46:48 -0700
On May 23, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Thomas Pedersen wrote:

> I'd like to get a patch that adds support for 802.11s packet dissection as well as bringing tags up to date upstream now that ANA assignments have all been finalized. Are there any caveats I should be aware of prior to submitting my patch?
> i.e. does defining  MESH_OVERRIDES as 1 in epan/dissectors/packet-ieee80211.c break anything?

Defining it at all currently:

	1) changes the values of several tags, such as TAG_SUPPORTED_CHANNELS, TAG_CHANNEL_SWITCH_ANN, etc. and gets rid of the definitions of other tags, such as TAG_NEIGHBOR_REPORT, TAG_FAST_BSS_TRANSITION, and TAG_WSIE - and removes tables and code that use the latter definitions;

	2) enables some code that looks for a mesh header.

Presumably, bringing the tags up-to-date includes getting rid of the stuff in 1), as the finalized assignments presumably don't collide with other assignments.

If the stuff in 2) causes mis-dissection of packets not in an 802.11s network, then there might have to be a preference setting.

Or, to summarize, if there even needs to *be* a MESH_OVERRIDES definition, something is wrong.