Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Finding duplicate (conflicting) value_string entries

From: Ed Beroset <beroset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:17:33 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Jeff Morriss wrote:
>Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
>>> I didn't measure, but it didn't noticibly add to the startup time
>>
>> This O(n^2) loop sucks a little, you can optimized it with some hashing
>> or bit-setting/checking.
>> But really please don't care about startup-time. It's not so important.
>
>Well, I'd disagree with startup time not being important... :-)  I
>sometimes start Wireshark many times a day, sometimes on not-very-fast
>SPARCs.

Speaking of more limited platforms, I wonder about about a way of reducing both startup time and memory usage by having the dissectors dynamically loaded (as with the current plug-in mechanism) rather than statically linked.  The current model of adding all dissectors to the main code means that Wireshark will keep getting bigger and bigger.  I wonder if it might not be time to ponder if that's the best possible option.

Ed