Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reassembling tvbuff_t

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:30:07 -0400

The reassembly code can deal with out-of-order fragments: it needs to because in TCP/IP the fragments may come out of order (they usually don't, of course).

One concern with your code is that all the composite tvbuff stuff is not well tested or used. There have been some fixes lately (in trunk), but you'll be in fairly new territory if you use it. To me your code looks like it should work--assuming the composite tvbuffs work.

Another common solution (if you really don't want to use the reassembly code) is to do essentially what you're doing now (malloc space for the reassembled packet, etc.) but without using composite TVBs.

fab12@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
When you receive a fragment, can you tell which PDU it belongs to (1 or
2), or does that only become clear after one of the PDUs is reassembled?

If you can identify the PDU ID before reassembly, then the existing
reassembly code can be made to work, by allocating a separate reassembly
buffer for each PDU.

If the PDU ID is ambiguous before reassembly, then the current
reassembly algorithm will not work for you.

I can know the PDU Id before reassembly but the fragments may not come in
order. I guess this is a problem too right.

Also do you imply the code I propose is wrong?