Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Reassembling tvbuff_t

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:38:18 +0200
Hi

I am currently working on a dissector for some proprietary protocol and I
need to do some reassembling of buffer.
I am looking for information on how to handle tvbuff_t API.

I have found this :
http://wireshark.sourcearchive.com/documentation/1.0.0/tvbuff_8h_aa919b43fdba78f4be4a76aa274e6cce.html#aa919b43fdba78f4be4a76aa274e6cce

which is useful but I'm not sure to understand it.

With my protocol I am receiving packet in several fragment.
The fragment header tells me if it is a head, tail or mid fragment packet.

I am thinking processing as follows but I am not sure if it is the best
way or even if it is correct:

Upon reception of a fragment:  I copy it in a new tvbuff_t and save it in
some global list:

tvb_memcpy(tvb,data,offset,length)
frag_buf=tvb_new_real_data(data,length,reported_length)
// what is reported_length by the way?
// Is there a better way to make a buffer copy?
Add frag_buf to global fragrment list

Upon receiption of the last fragment
pckt_buf=tvb_new_composite  (  void  )
For each frag_buf in global fragrment list
{
   tvb_composite_append(pckt_buf,frag_buf)
}

// Then I call my dissector on the reassembled packet.

Is this the general idea?

Thx
Fabien