Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug in new_packet_list_thaw/_freeze while loading file

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:24:20 -0600
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 03:12:17PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:

> Is this something that applied to the old GTKCList but that doesn't
> apply to GTK2's tree view?

The reason for the freeze and thaw in the GTK2 new packet list is based
on the GtkTreeView tutorial (see below).  It was added early on in my
prototypes and at one point it helped with performance, but I don't know
if it still does, especially with our custom model.

3.3.3 Speed Issues when Adding a Lot of Rows

A common scenario is that a model needs to be filled with a lot of rows
at some point, either at start-up, or when some file is opened. An
equally common scenario is that this takes an awfully long time even on
powerful machines once the model contains more than a couple of thousand
rows, with an exponentially decreasing rate of insertion. As already
pointed out above, writing a custom model might be the best thing to do
in this case. Nevertheless, there are some things you can do to work
around this problem and speed things up a bit even with the stock Gtk+
models:

Continued at:
http://scentric.net/tutorial/sec-treemodel-add-rows.html#sec-treestore-adding-many-rows