Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Short question for modus operandi

From: Chris Maynard <chris.maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:40:44 +0000 (UTC)
Roland Knall <rknall@...> writes:

> I have provided some time ago a patch for submission into wireshark
> (Bug #5753). Over the course of the next two weeks a new version of
> this patch would be completed, which would enable the dissector to
> talk Modbus/TCP as well. But this version would be very preliminary,
> and not stable for a longer time.

"Not stable" or "not complete"?  I think incomplete dissectors are OK as they
can always be improved upon later as time permits, but unstable is not
acceptable.

> Should I remove the current patch and resubmit it with the changes, or
> should I wait until this version of the patch gets submitted (which is
> pretty stable right now), and then submit the changes?

The latest patch you provided seems to have been reviewed by Guy, Jeff and
Jakub.  I *think* it's probably close to the point of being accepted, so I'd say
rather than introducing another patch that "might not be stable for a longer
time", that you should hold off until after this patch has been accepted.
Another patch at this point might prolong the time it takes to be accepted, but
I guess it depends somewhat on the extent of your new changes and if you really
meant "not complete" rather than "not stable".