Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Q re a possible bug for someone familiar with packet-ansi_63

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 07:33:21 +0200
On 04/05/2011 03:49 PM, Chris Maynard wrote:
Bill Meier<wmeier@...>  writes:

In the proto_reg_handoff_ansi_637() code the variable
'ansi_637_trans_app_handle' is set but never used.
(Coverity 835).

My suspicion is that this handle should be used in the following iso
'ansi_637_trans_handle':

      /* Dissect messages embedded in SIP */
      dissector_add_string("media_type","application/vnd.3gpp2.sms",
ansi_637_trans_handle);

Can anyone confirm ??

Hi Bill.  I can't really confirm with 100% certainty, but the comment above
dissect_ansi_637_trans_app() is:  "/* Dissect SMS embedded in SIP */"

Therefore, I think it's logical that your suspicions are correct.  I would go
ahead and make the change.  The impact is quite minimal anyway, as it will
merely prepend the '/' character to the protocol column before "IS-637-A" is
added.  Almost makes you wonder if dissect_ansi_637_trans_app() is worth it
though, doesn't it?  Well, maybe it matters to someone.

That's the common way to show the application protocol in SIP message bodies. Most well known is Session Description Protocol in Session Initiation Protocol messages: SIP/SDP.

Thanks,
Jaap