Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Missing file from website

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:06:42 -0700
On Mar 27, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

> According to WinPcap faq WinPcap 3.1 (stable) or WinPcap before 4.0 beta3 (testing) should work.
>
> Now the question is how WinPcap API (userspace) is stable :)

Much of the WinPcap API is just the pcap API, which should be *very* stable, even at the ABI level.  The Windows-specific extensions are probably pretty stable as well.  The packet.dll interface is, I think, explicitly *not* guaranteed to be stable.

Installing newer versions of Wireshark on Windows OT might require you to manually install the older version of WinPcap, however.