Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] About Dead Store in clang Analysis

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:04:44 -0700
On Mar 24, 2011, at 3:59 PM, John Sullivan wrote:

> (Aside: my attitude to dead stores is that eliminating them is a job
> for the compiler.

It is, and I think at least some (perhaps all) modern compilers will do that already.  However, a dead store could either be "this is part of an idiom, and some of the stuff done in the idiom isn't always useful", or it could be "somebody made a mistake" (typed the wrong variable name, deleted some code but forgot to delete other code that the code removal rendered unnecessary, etc.), so getting dead-store warnings can be useful.