Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Different wireshark behaviour on Linux as on Windows

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:39:10 +0100
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Chris Maynard <chris.maynard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roland Knall <rknall@...> writes:
>
>> On Linux, when the gtk-based filehandler loads the list of plugins, it
>> does so alphabetically. This does not seem to be the case on Windows.
>> So here, someone might argue, that this indeed is plattform-specific,
>> and not exactly a bug. You would have to sort the plugin load list to
>> fix it.
>
> Would this really fix the underlying problem though, i.e., sorting first?  I
> mean, if you want the opensafety plugin to be loaded before the sercosiii
> plugin, it does, but what if you want the reverse?

It would definitly not solve the underlying problem. but at least it
would make the whole process predictable, which is definitly not the
case now.

Additionally, I have the problem, that I do not want to disable the
SercosIII dissector, because if i do, I can not call it by it's
registered name as well (in that case, the data dissector will be
used)

My favorite solution would be, that a dissector could register, that
it should always get selected before all other dissectors. Of course
this behaviour should be user-configurable. So, not a dissector
disable solution, more of a ranking solution.

I worked around the current situation however. If I find some time
next week, I will take a look at such a ranking system, if this is
something desirable.

regards, Roland