Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Different wireshark behaviour on Linux as on Windows

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:51:16 -0800
On Feb 28, 2011, at 12:32 AM, Roland Knall wrote:

> My main development plattform is Linux. On it, my plugin get's loaded,
> everything get's dissected correctly, and works as intended. My plugin
> is called openSAFETY.
>
> On Windows, the SercosIII plugin takes precedence over my plugin. Both
> register the same Ethertypes, therefore this should not be unusual,

If you mean "it's not unusual that random stuff happens if two dissectors register with the same value in a given dissector table", that is correct.  We make no guarantee that this will do what the developer of the dissector, or the user, wants - in particular, we make no guarantee which dissector will win.

> So my question is, can I influence the decision made by wireshark in
> any way, which plugin get's called?

Try disabling the dissector for the protocol whose dissector you don't want called.