Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] error LINK2001:unresolved external symbol _ett_nds

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:54:09 -0800
On 2/21/11 4:36 AM, news.gmane.com wrote:

> AFAIR packet-ncp2222.c is generated with Python.
> Even if Python is included in Cygwin, you need to install a different
> (native) version. I dont't know, why this hack is necessary, but it helps.
>
> You can check, if I'm right at the size of the source files (packet-ncp*.c).
> If you have a 0-byte-file, you probably got it.

In the past there have been problems with the Cygwin version of Python, e.g.

  http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200203/msg00416.html

These problems may not be relevant nowadays but I don't know if anyone
has tested modern versions of Cygwin's Python extensively. After
enabling "PYTHON=env python" in config.nmake on a system here (Cygwin
1.7.7 + Python 2.6.3 + Visual C++ 10) I was able to generate and compile
packet-ncp2222.c without any problems but that's just one environment of
many that we support, and that only tests a subset of the Python scripts
that we ship.