Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFC: Should ip.addr also match on ARP packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:58:54 -0800
On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> I've created a small patch that will allow ip.addr to match on arp
> requests/replies as well as the previous stuff. It comes quite handy
> but as this kind of thing is a bit unusual I thought I'd ask first.
> There is precedence for matching on another dissector's fields with
> ipv6 matching on ipv4's version field.

Just out of curiosity, would a "match on any FT_IPV4 field" filter be useful, so that a packet that contains a given IPv4 address *anywhere* (or, at least, anywhere that it's an FT_IPV4 field, rather than, say, just a proto_tree_add_text() item) matches?

(And the same applies to IPv6 addresses and MAC-48 addresses and....)