Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] digging something meaningful out of xmlrpc

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:23:44 +0200
Thank you for the tip. However my problem is not so much about being
able to do the job of parsing the XML. It is a more a
philosophical/API question. Is it ok to dissect something in a way
that leaves lots of bytes unexplained? Also, is it possible to show a
more general and a less general dessections of the same data?

I am looking at OpenDHT client interface here. The protocol parses as
XML, but it also parses as XML-RPC, and as an OpenDHT function call.
If I take it to the level of showing information relevant for an
OpenDHT function call I will have to ignore most of the XML because it
is just meta data that tells me where the payload is, and showing that
to the user makes the result harder to understand.

It is also a quesiton of user interface design. If I can parse
something as an OpenDHT function call and show the meaningful results
for that, should we still show the parsed XML for someone who is
interested for the validity of the xml, or wants to look it up for
features that are not part of the default OpenDHT protocol.

Is it ok to dissect a dictionary and only explain the keys you know
about, or do I need to stop dissecting, if I suddenly find out there
is one key that I do not recognize because it is part of some obscure
extension?