Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] libwireshark.lib is missing some proto_registrar_* methods

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:06:19 -0800
On Feb 10, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Turner, Jay wrote:

> I noticed that libwireshark.lib didn’t have proto_registrar_get_name and proto_registrar_get_length (maybe even proto_registrar_get_abbrev, but I may have overwritten it and readded it). I added them to libwireshark.def and my code linked where it got LNK2019 errors before. Were these omitted accidentally or on purpose?

They weren't omitted on purpose.  They were probably omitted because they were added by a UN*X user; by default, UN*X dynamic shared libraries export every non-static symbol, unlike Windows DLLs.

> If accidentally, do you want me to submit a bug

Yes.

> (though I don’t know how to do that)?

Create an account on the Wireshark Bugzilla:

	http://bugs.wireshark.org/

and file it there.

> Also, strangely, proto_registrar_get_name is in epan\dissectors.lib but many other proto_registrar_* methods are not, and some proto_registrar_* methods are in other libs like dfilter, wslua, and libui. Should all of these be only in libwireshark.lib?

dissectors, dfilter and wslua are "libraries" only during the build process; the routines in those libraries should end up in libwireshark.