Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Modify default settings?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:46:09 -0700
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 03:03:04PM +1100, Martin Visser wrote:

> One other default I think we should change is around TCP checksums. It
> seems so many people are now using NICs with various chimneys and
> offload processing that we get a lot of "false positives" from new
> users in the forums and the mailing list.

We turned off TCP and UDP checksum verification a few years ago:

  http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=24778

(based on the date, this probably first showed up in version 1.2)

But this reminds me: sometimes I see IP checksum offloading causing
problems now, which we do still check by default.  We should probably
disable this verification by default as well.