Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark crashes after adding preferencecodeto my

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 00:43:37 +0000

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Yosi Saggi <yosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Martin

I am going over the mac_lte_info struct, and wanted to know if you can help me with the msain parameters I see I need to input to decode.

Most of the parameters I understand and can fill in the 2 of the top 3 I don’t understand:

   guint8          radioType;

   guint8          rntiType;

Your follow-up email said you now understand how to fill these fields in.

Direction is obvious.

What does the “radioType” stand for? I looked for some reference in the standard, but I guess I just don’t know what to look for.

What does “rntiType” stands for? Is it referring to SI-RNTI, RA-RNTI and C-RNTI?

I am also not sure about the isPredefinedData, reTxcount, dl_retx and oob_event parameters.

I have just committed a change to packet-mac-lte.h that hopefully gives clear descriptions of how these fields work.
Basically if the struct is zeroed (as se_alloc0() does) and you only fill in the parts you want to the rest should be ignored.
See http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=35715 for my changes.  Please note that the 1.4 branch is quite far from being up to date with the LTE protocols so the trunk is much more up-to-date.

Is there a capture sample for the LTE that I can see how the dissector works?

I will try to dig out a simple test file for you tomorrow.

I do not use catapult-dct-2000. Also the LTE packets I am capturing are not over UDP.

My dissector is between PHY and MAC. I get Ethernet packets with type FFFF and dissect them with our proprietary API. I have no problem with my own API, the problem is when I’m getting to the MAC level (to the PHY data level). This is why I want to use the MAC, RLC,PDCP dissectors. I just don’t understand what do those parameters in the struct mean so I could fill them up.

I'm imagining that your own dissector is registered with ethertype FFFF, and then you then parse some parameters from the start of each frame before you come to the MAC payload.  And that those parameters include enough of mac_lte_info to get useful decodes.  Do let me know if any fields are still unclear.  Since my company's (test) product has been the first user, the fields available are probably a bit biased towards the UE side of the link and the way we happen to log them.  But there are now other users of the UDP framing method and the more people using the dissectors (and hopefully helping to improve them) the better (and more generally useful) they'll be.

Thanks for the help

Yosi

Best regards,
Martin