Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireless dissector

From: "Norma Steveley" <norma22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:55:48 -0800 (PST)
I successfully wrote my first dissector (using Lua)  for ethertype.  I capture
packets on embedded Linux with tcpdump, and then analyze on my XP machine that has
Wireshark installed with my .lua scripts.

I would like to use the same dissector for wireless capture so I added to the wtap
protocol like this:

        local wtapTable = DissectorTable.get("wtap_encap")
        wtapTable :add(wtap.USER15,myProto)

When I open my wireless capture it shows as expected:
+ Frame 83: 72 bytes on wire ...
+ Radiotap Header vo, Length 23
+ IEEE 802.11 Data, Flags ...
+ Logical-Link Control
+ Data  (17 bytes)

However, when I try to use "decode as" it is disabled.

I am obviously misunderstanding something.  Or have not read the right part of the
documentation.  Any clarification, or pointers to what I *should* have read
would be much appreciated