Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark crashes after adding preference code to my

From: "Yosi Saggi" <yosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:00:39 +0200
Thanks, it works

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Morriss
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:35 PM
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark crashes after adding preference
code to my

Yosi Saggi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wanted to add some options in the preference window for my
dissector.
> This is the code I have added to the "proto_register" function:
[...]
> prefs_register_bool_preference(dan_lte_sdk_module,
"Dissect_MAC_Payload",
>                                "Dissect MAC Layer from Data Payload",
>                                "In Uplink and Downlink data packets,
> dissect MAC heaser layer "
>                                "Disabling MAC dissection will disable
> RLC dissection automaticly",
>                                &global_dan_lte_sdk_dissect_MAC);
>
> prefs_register_bool_preference(dan_lte_sdk_module,
"Dissect_RLC_Payload",
>                                "Dissect RLC Layer from Data Payload",
>                                "In Uplink and Downlink data packets,
> dissect RLC heaser layer ",
>                                &global_dan_lte_sdk_dissect_RLC);
>
> It works fine until I add those two (even one of them)
>  "prefs_register_bool_preference" functions. What did I do wrong?
>
> I get a "Runtime Error!" for wireshark.exe Removing those function
fixes
>  it back.

 From epan/prefs.c:

         /*
          * Make sure that only lower-case ASCII letters, numbers,
          * underscores, and dots appear in the preference name.
          *
          * Crash if there is, as that's an error in the code;
          * you can make the title and description nice strings
          * with capitalization, white space, punctuation, etc.,
          * but the name can be used on the command line,
          * and shouldn't require quoting, shifting, etc.
          */

So change the preference names to use only lower case.