Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eclipse project for Wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 01:02:57 -0800
On Jan 21, 2011, at 12:46 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

> The reason that the windows build still uses other tools and nmake is that no-one has found the time and motivation to create, and most importantly maintain, a VS solution for Wireshark.

Note that "maintain" includes "allow developers using UN*X not to have to somehow manually update a VS project file when they add a new source file to Wireshark".  At least with VS nmake we can have both the auto* Makefile.am files and the VS nmake files both include Makefile.common, so adding a new source file can, in 99% of the cases, be done by a UN*X developer using the auto* files or a Windows developer using the VS nmake files and it'll work for the other group.

CMake is multi-platform and even *that* isn't always updated when people add files to the project.  If we can arrange that CMake handle *all* the weird platform checks that the auto* stuff does, or are willing to abandon the platform versions/variants it can't handle, and are willing to require that all developers install CMake (and we either have binary packages available for all platforms that matter, or can have CMake generate release source tarballs that don't require CMake, or are willing to require that *end users* install CMake if they can't install from a binary package), we might be able to switch to CMake, in which case it might be able to generate VC project files (at least as I understand what the CMake site says).

CMake *might* work better with Eclipse than auto*:

	http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Eclipse_UNIX_Tutorial

(It might say "UNIX" in the URL, but the page says "These instructions are written with OS X /Linux in mind but should be applicable to Windows Operating Systems.")