Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] GUI Performance issue

From: Andreas <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:16:10 +0100
I have a dissector for a protocol that can have huge messages. It can happen that I find 250kByte in one message, reassembled of about 180 packets.

All data is decoded fine, the tree is built and displayed in the packet details view. But it takes more than a second to highlight the next item in the tree after the click. More annoying is the the packet byte pane seems to be reconstructed every time what consumes up to ten seconds.

The bytes are selected in the bytes pane after two seconds or so. But the vertical scrollbar scrolls and than slims for a long while.

Why is selecting the next tree item so expensive, when just a few other bytes are to be highlighted. In my example there are only a few (eight) lines display anyway. I think this could be a field to optimize the GUI, while I must admit that such a message size is heavy.

... using Wireshark version 1.2.3

--
Andy