Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] snmp decoding ...ubuntu smi issue ?... different then on win

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:35:17 +0100

Hi,

Some history:

libsmi doesn't provide MIBs any more, due to Debian bug 498476

MIB installation was spun out into an independent package snmp-mibs-downloader

This package downloads the MIBs directly from their source, so these are not cleaned up for libsmi.

libsmi integration is not trivial from an application point of view; it's easier to have it crash than work for you.
It took several iterations for Wireshark to get this right. You'll have to look in the Wireshark bug database and code repository to see what was solved in which release.
All I know is that in the 1.4 release branch things are much better (a.k.a. working).

i.s.o. trying to compile everything yourself it might be a good idea to install the newer Wireshark packages from the Ubuntu repositories of a newer release.

Thanks,
Jaap